I had a lot of fun with this! The biggest issue was trying not to get sucked in to playing with audio settings too much (I have a lot on the go right now, and must manage my time very conservatively). I recorded using my Steinberg C11, and ran that through an amp simulator in Garageband. I finished it in Audacity, where I removed a couple of pops and tightened up the dead space at the beginning of the track. I realized after the fact that though I recorded in 96000 kHz through Garageband, you can still hear the 60-cycle hum overlay from the amp simulator. I thought that was pretty cool…very authentic to the time and style. I had to restrain myself from doing multiple takes when it didn’t sound just right, or doing ‘punch-ins’, where a portion of audio track is replaced by an overlay.
Please note there is a 20 second delay before audio inputs are audible.
I had already edited the file before posting, so I thought I would put the original up. I left the click track (or metronome, if you prefer on in the background, which is very distracting with its little digital blip every quarter beat. Here’s what the unedited version sounded like.
For the final version, I tweaked a graphic equalizer to scoop the mids, then isolated and split a lead vocal track (very copyright, but this is not for commercial distribution) into two different tracks, and placed vocal ad-libs at interval. I also shortened the dead space at the beginning to 10 seconds, removed a small click at head of the guitar track,and added a fade-out to the final notes of the guitar, leaving the vocals at volume. Lastly, I put the noise reduction filter over with very low sensitivity to preserve the original amp simulation.
Addendum: The Importance of Inclusion in Teacher Pedagogy
This combined audio file took a lot more work because I had an audible hum from a short in my microphone that I could not remove to my satisfaction. After I re-recorded the segment and punched it in to the main audio track, I had to play with the EQ to match the levels and different microphone inputs. I also played with swelling in and fading out audio tracks, and had to paste the same track over and blend it a couple of times so that it filled my audio track timeline. When I created this, I definitely saw this as a podcast for teachers; I really enjoyed it, and that may be something I pursue in the future when I have more time to generate content.